Mold lives on damp surfaces, and it thrives in the presence of moisture. Unfortunately, this makes your bathroom an ideal place for mold growth.
If you discover mold growth in your bathroom, there are two remedial actions that should be taken. First, steps need to be taken to remove the mold itself, and second, you’ll need to identify and eliminate all causes that contributed to the mold growth.
In this post, we’re going to discuss some of the ways that you can prevent mold growth in your bathroom in Hoffman Estates, and we’ll also discuss the situations when you should hire a mold removal professional.
Molds that commonly grow in the bathroom include the following:
Stachybotrys is the most dangerous kind of mold in bathrooms. It is so dark that it almost appears black. Another type of mold, Penicillium, sometimes has a blue, green, or yellowish shade to it. Overall, all types of mold tend to look familiar, and they should be treated the same with regards to potential health risks and removal.
Poor ventilation and high humidity are the main causes of surface mold. In the bathroom, running water and steam from a hot shower creates high-humidity levels. When this moisture comes in contact with organic materials — such as wood, dust, carpeting, or body oils — it creates the perfect environment for mold growth.
If the bathroom is well constructed and has no cracks in the tiles or grout, the surface can be scrubbed clean. By using a regular household cleaner, such as vinegar, baking soda, or bleach, you can remove small traces of mold growth.
Prevent Future Mold Growth
Once you have removed the mold, you’ll want to make sure it does not return. For this, we need to prevent the main causes (i.e., the accumulation of moisture) that contributed to the mold growth in the first place. We recommend taking the following steps:
- Ensure that the bathroom surfaces are cleaned regularly
- Allow steam to escape by opening a bathroom window after a shower, or running the fan
- Ensure that there is no water accumulation in the bathroom
- Shower curtains should be secured tightly to avoid water spillage in dry areas
- Maintain a schedule to clean the grout, tile, bathroom floor, and shower curtain
- Caulking should be replaced when it begins to discolor
- Immediately fill cracks to avoid water seepage behind the wall
- Paint with a mold and mildew resistant paint every five years or so
Mold is definitely an eyesore. But for some, it can trigger asthma and allergies. For those who have respiratory problems, the spores can irritate the inner lining of the lungs and increase the risk of asthma attacks. This is just one of the reasons why it’s so important to have mold removed as soon as possible.
You Should Hire a Professional for Mold Removal When:
- Areas of mold, of any color, are large or show up in many different places at the same time
- The residents suffer from severe mold allergies, asthma, or auto-immune disease
- Drywall and baseboards have become discolored
- Tiles, grout, or caulking has cracked, and water is leaking behind the shower wall
- There is a leak in the toilet
- There is a leak in the sink
Are You Looking for a Mold Remediation Company in Hoffman Estates, Illinois?
Does your home or commercial building contain mold? If so, and if you’re looking for a licensed mold removal company in Hoffman Estates, look no further than Axis Response Group.
Our experts have removed mold from a number of commercial and residential properties throughout the Hoffman Estates area, and we can help to completely eradicate any mold that exists in your property as well.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment!