Because lead is a highly toxic substance, exposure to it can lead to very serious health conditions, especially in younger children. Lead poisoning can have permanent consequences, including damage to the brain and vital organs.
These are a few of the most common places that lead-based paint can be found in a building:
- Doors and doorframes
- Windows and window sills
- Trim and baseboards
Surfaces that are on the outside of your building are more likely to become hazardous because of their exposure to the elements, causing the paint to chip and flake off, disturbing any layers of lead-based paint that might be present.