Mold is something that no office owner or manager wants to deal with. Not only is mold unsightly, but it can also cause severe damage to your property. It can even be hazardous to your health and the health of your staff and customers. So, what steps can you take to reduce mold in your Chicago office? You may instinctively want to open a window — but can that really make a difference? This mold removal company in Chicago, Illinois is going to explain below.
Can opening windows help reduce mold?
Yes — opening windows does help reduce mold.
Mold is a type of fungus that consists of tiny fungal spores. These spores can be found almost anywhere and are generally considered harmless. However, they become a concern when they settle in a moist environment such as a basement or crawlspace as they thrive in warm, damp conditions. To avoid mold growth in your Chicago office, you will need to limit the quantity of moisture present. Opening windows can be an excellent way to do so (if the relative humidity level is below 60%). It removes excess water from the air, making it harder for spores to grow.
It can be helpful to open windows. However, your mold removal company in Chicago, Illinois will warn you that this strategy does not work in all cases. It will be ineffective in the following situations:
- External humidity levels are more than 60%. If it is humid outside, opening your windows will only let in extra moisture — this is especially true if it is hot outside. Controlling indoor humidity will require you to employ alternative methods, which we will discuss later.
- It is raining outside. Opening your windows when it is raining outside will only bring more moisture into your office.
- You are dealing with a severe mold problem. You may be able to handle minor mold issues on your own. However, opening your windows will be ineffective if you have a severe case of mold. You should contact a professional mold removal company in Chicago, Illinois for assistance.
Other mold control methods
Opening your windows is not always the most effective solution to get rid of moisture and mold. As stated earlier, it will not work correctly if the outside humidity is more than 60%. You also will not be able to open your windows if it is raining outside or too cold. So, what happens if you are unable to open your windows? Is there a better way to control humidity and mold in your Chicago office?
Here are some of the more effective techniques you can try:
- Buy a quality dehumidifier.
- Buy humidity absorbing plants like English Ivy, Bamboo Palm, or Peace Lily.
- Move plants that release moisture outside.
- Turn on the fans when cooking or taking a shower.
- Fix any leaks in your office.
- Check to see that the ventilation system in your office is functioning correctly.
As any reputable mold removal company in Chicago, Illinois will tell you, you can use a hygrometer to determine the humidity level in your office. This thermometer-like gadget is readily available at most hardware stores in Chicago. If the humidity is too high, you can make the necessary adjustments to keep mold from forming in your office.
Looking for a Mold Removal Company in Chicago, Illinois?
Are you looking for a mold removal company in Chicago, Illinois? If so, look no further than the professionals at Axis Response Group. Our highly trained specialists are skilled in all aspects of mold testing, removal, and cleanup. Contact us today at (773) 427-6811 to get started.