Asbestos is a substance that’s known to have harmful effects when inhaled or when in contact with your skin. In fact, it has been proven that prolonged asbestos exposure can cause damage to your lung tissue, which can potentially result in lung cancer.
With that said, asbestos exposure is not something you’ll want to take a chance on. Below, this asbestos removal company in Des Plaines, Illinois is going to explain how you can identify, test, and remove asbestos from your home.
How to know if you have asbestos in your home
If you have a house in Des Plaines, Illinois built before 1975, the materials used to build your home might contain asbestos. The substance can usually be found in areas that function with heat, like pipes and boilers.
However, they can also be found in other parts of your home, including:
- Vinyl tile flooring
- Attic insulations
- Tile adhesive
- Some types of linoleum
- Caulking and glazing on windows
- Roofing materials
- Duct insulation on your HVAC
- Fiber cement
However, it is important to note that the mere presence of asbestos is not necessarily dangerous. We’ll explain more on this below.
When asbestos can become harmful
When the materials that contain asbestos are maintained in good condition, these materials will not release asbestos fibers into the air. However, when the material gets damaged by time or some other cause, it can be a reason for asbestos fibers and debris to disseminate and mix with the air inside your home. Asbestos, in its powder form, can be a health hazard when inhaled or when it touches your skin.
The right thing to do when there is asbestos in your home
In its solid form, asbestos is not harmful. However, when it becomes damaged and breaks into pieces, you should be wary about asbestos inhalation.
- Get the area inspected first. Before you call for asbestos removal, it would be best to have an asbestos testing firm in Des Plaines, Illinois, check and confirm if the material is asbestos. They should provide you with a comprehensive written evaluation of the situation in your home. They should also give you a recommendation on the proper steps that you should take from there.
- Inspect the materials for any damage. When you have identified which parts of your house consist of asbestos, check them for any signs of wear, tears, abrasions, or damages. If the material is slightly damaged, leave it as it is. But, when there is considerable damage, or when you need to renovate your home, the material will be disturbed. You will need to hire the services of professional asbestos removers.
- Call a professional asbestos removal service. The Des Plaines asbestos removal contractor you hire should provide you with the full details on how they will approach the process. They should also provide you with proper documentation and paperwork mandated by the government to ensure that their work is regulated correctly. You can contact your local Environmental Protection Agency and Occupational Safety and Health Administration office in Des Plaines, Illinois to know more about the regulations.
What to do to ensure a safe asbestos removal
Before the asbestos removal begins, it’s important to make sure your Des Plaines asbestos removal contractor has followed the necessary safety protocol set by your local government.
- Ask your asbestos removal company in Des Plaines how they dispose of the material to make sure everything is handled properly.
- Check if the asbestos removal service you hired uses proper safety equipment and follows health protocols.
- Check with the BBB to see if your local asbestos removal company in Des Plaines, Illinois has any safety violations.
Looking for the Premier Asbestos Removal Company in Des Plaines, Illinois?
Do you need help dealing with asbestos in your home? If so, and if you’re looking for the premier asbestos removal company in Des Plaines, Illinois, Axis Response Group is the company to call. We have the tools and experience to help you safely identify, test, and remove all the asbestos from your property. Contact us today at (847) 998-6811 to learn how we can help.