Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Use Bleach to Clean Mold; Insights from an Inverness Mold Removal Company

Written by :- Axis Response Group

September 9, 2020

Mold spores grow rapidly, and they often form colonies in the presence of humidity. Mold is not only unsightly, but it can also cause major damage to your residential or commercial property. Mold is also known to cause several health issues, and it’s especially harmful to family members or staff who have allergies, or those who are have compromised immune systems.

Bleach is a commonly marketed solution for eliminating mold. However, there are a few things you should know before you consider using bleach to treat a mold outbreak. For example, bleach works only on nonporous surfaces, like sinks and tiles. Also, it is not effective on porous substances such as drywall and wood.

In this post, we’re going to discuss the reasons why bleach should not be used to combat mold, and share better mold removal options for those who are struggling with a mold problem in their Inverness homes:

Ineffective Over Time

Chlorine bleach is generally considered to be a viable solution for halting and removing mold growth (on certain surfaces). However, the only problem is that bleach tends to lose its potency if it has been left on the shelf for too long.

So, if you are unaware of how old your bleach is, or if it has been lying around in your home for a long time, it could be ineffective in eliminating mold spores from certain surfaces in your home.

Does Not Work on Porous Surfaces

The label on the bleach bottle will tell you that it is suitable only for non-porous surfaces. Since chlorine beach is not meant to be soaked into a surface, the disinfectant properties are applicable only on hard surfaces such as glass or tile.

Bleach should not be used on porous surfaces for two major reasons. First, a mold spore spreads its roots deep into a porous surface. Bleach is only effective in cleaning the top layer, so while the mold may look gone, the roots remain alive and will grow back. Secondly, bleach contains 90% water, and mold thrives in moisture. So, upon application, the chlorine will evaporate, leaving the porous surface moist for the mold to re-grow.


Chlorine bleach is toxic. It produces fumes that evaporate in the air and are harmful when inhaled. Research has also shown that chlorine bleach generates a by-product called dioxin, which is linked to cancer. If used frequently over time, the contaminants in bleach can be very harmful. As a result, it is best to avoid bleach as much as possible, and to use safer alternatives to eliminate mold.

Alternatives to Bleach

Mold contamination can be a difficult problem to deal with. In many cases, mold removal is more than just a weekend DIY project, so the best option could be to hire a professional for mold remediation.

If you have decided to clean the mold yourself, you will need to prepare a plan of action. When you are cleaning the mold, you’ll want to ensure that the mold has been removed from the root to guarantee that it will not return. This could require you to cut and replace some material in their entirety. Once the mold removal process is complete, you’ll want to make sure all sources of moisture are eliminated, and that the area is properly ventilated.

Are You Looking for a Professional Mold Removal and Remediation Company in Inverness?

Is your residential or commercial property under attack by mold? If you’re looking for a professional mold removal service in Inverness, then Axis Response Group is here to help.

We have removed mold in numerous commercial and residential properties throughout Inverness and beyond. Our licensed professionals can help to completely eliminate any mold that exists within your property.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment!

1 Comment

  1. Alice Carroll

    Thanks for pointing out that there are different toxicity levels to consider when it comes to mold abatement. I’m interested in getting molds cleared off in my basement because they are making me unable to use it as a storage room. I better get that done before the weather get a bit damp in a few months.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *