If you own or manage an office building in Mount Prospect, there is a chance that your building has mold lurking in the walls, floor, or ceiling. Although most molds are harmless and invisible to the naked eye, certain types can cause allergies and respiratory problems if they grow unchecked. That is why it is essential to call in a mold removal contractor as soon as you suspect an issue in your workplace.
Below, this mold removal contractor in Mount Prospect, Illinois is going to review the five most common types of mold that could be growing in your office space:
This is a fungus that, while common and often harmless, can still irritate some people’s eyes and sinuses. If you notice tiny brown spots on your ceiling tiles or smell musty odors coming from certain areas of your office building, Cladosporium could be to blame. This mold typically grows on damp surfaces with poor ventilation. But it can also grow inside offices if they are in high-humidity areas — bathrooms and basements are particularly prone to Cladosporium contamination.
Aspergillus is the most common type of mold found in office buildings in Mount Prospect. It is also one of the most dangerous types of mold, causing sickness in people with compromised immune systems and lung problems. Aspergillus grows best on surfaces with lots of moisture, such as carpet and upholstery. It is a very persistent mold that does not need much to survive, so it can spread rather quickly if it’s not treated by a mold removal contractor in Mount Prospect, Illinois.
When a doctor diagnoses a patient with mold allergies, they may be referring to Alternaria. This is a common cause of sneezing, watery eyes, and congestion in those who are allergic. Primarily an outdoor fungus, it is brought inside on clothing, pets, and through open windows. Summer is particularly tough for those with Alternaria allergies since the spore count rises as the temperature increases.
In buildings with lots of air conditioning and central air, Penicillium growth tends to be more common on hard surfaces, such as windows and walls. The good news is that Penicillium is generally considered non-toxic when ingested by humans (it is better known as an agent of food spoilage); however, there have been cases where allergies were triggered by skin contact. More likely than not, you will simply need to remove any surface-based mold before it has a chance to spread.
If your office has a musty odor or if you have experienced chronic health problems, be wary. Stachybotrys (or “black mold”) is common in areas with low ventilation, like offices. This mold produces highly toxic trichothecene mycotoxins (T-2) that can damage your lungs, brain, and other organs. It is generally difficult to identify Stachybotrys with a simple visual inspection, so it could be making people inside your office sick without them knowing. If you suspect this type of mold in your office, you should have the property inspected by a mold removal contractor in Mount Prospect, Illinois right away.
Can my office be mold-free?
Yes, a mold-free office is not only possible but necessary. Mold thrives in moist and dark environments like bathrooms and basements, so you can protect your employees and customers by keeping those areas clean, dry, and well-ventilated.
If you discover that your office does have mold present, it is crucial to take steps to eliminate it as soon as possible. In some cases, all that is needed is removing any moisture from affected areas and taking steps to prevent future water damage. However, certain types of mold also cause allergic reactions or even more serious health problems — which is why you should hire a professional mold removal contractor in Mount Prospect, Illinois immediately after detecting an issue.
Looking for a Mold Removal Contractor in Mount Prospect, Illinois?
Are you ready to have your office inspected or treated for mold? Looking for a professional mold removal contractor in Mount Prospect, Illinois? If so, look no further than the team at Axis Response Group. Contact us today at (773) 427-6811 to get in touch with our staff.