The dangers posed by asbestos are well-documented. Lung cancer, mesothelioma, asbestosis, and numerous other life-threatening health risks are attributed to asbestos, which prior to 1978 was widely used in building products and consumer goods. If you recently bought an older (pre-1978) home in Evanston, Skokie, or Winnetka and discovered asbestos within the property, you need to hire a proven asbestos abatement and removal firm like Axis Response Group.
Before our team arrives, keep the following in mind:
- Do not vacuum, sweep, or dust any debris you suspect contains asbestos
- Stay away from all asbestos-afflicted areas. If you must access an area, minimize your activity and do not let kids near the space
Once we’re on site, here’s what we’ll do:
Isolate problem areas
All asbestos-affected materials are sprayed with a sealant that traps the fibers and prevents them from spreading. Following this, we cover the affected materials with an airtight barrier to eliminate any chance of you or a family member inhaling asbestos fibers. In its solid form, asbestos is virtually harmless; only when it’s broken down into inhalable fibers does it cause serious problems.
Repair Any Damaged Materials Containing Asbestos
If certain asbestos-containing materials in your home are damaged – for example, pipe insulation, cracked flooring, wall boards, or caulking – our specialists will furnish a quote to have these items repaired and rendered safe
Asbestos Removal: Background
Experts agree that only extreme circumstances dictate an asbestos removal project. For example, if we find that your home’s old flooring contains asbestos, we’ll recommend that instead of removing the flooring it’s actually safer (not to mention easier and less expensive) to install a new floor over the old one.
In cases where asbestos abatement isn’t enough and asbestos removal is absolutely necessary, you’ll be in good hands with our experienced team. We have comprehensive training in asbestos removal and have achieved the following certifications for not just removal but also all forms of asbestos abatement:
- IDPH licensed Asbestos Project Manager
- IDPH Licensed Asbestos Supervisor
- IDPH Licensed Building Inspector
- IDPH Licensed Asbestos Workers
All of our training and licensing was performed in accordance with the standards set by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Asbestos Removal: The Process
If you hire our environmental contractor in Chicago to remove asbestos from your home, we’ll follow a set process consisting of:
- Completely enclosing the work area
- Cleaning the work area with a special asbestos vacuum
- All ducts and vents will be sealed and all asbestos-containing materials will be kept wet to prevent any particles/fibers from going airborne
- After the affected area has been completely cleaned and all contaminated materials have been removed, we’ll dispose of your asbestos waste in an EPA-approved asbestos landfill
The idea of finding asbestos in your home is a scary prospect. However, by taking the necessary precautions and hiring Axis Response Group, an environmental contractor serving Chicago and its suburbs with an excellent record of asbestos abatement and removal, your home will be safe and asbestos-free.