Mold is an organism that can be found just about anywhere. If mold finds the right environment, it can begin growing on essentially any surface. If you have a little bit of moisture in your surroundings, a couple of mold spores (a byproduct of mold) in the air have the potential to create real havoc.
Mold is a nasty problem to have, whether it be inside of your warehouse, office, or home. Much like a computer virus, it can slowly creep into your space and spread its roots. If mold is ignored, it can quickly become much more than just a small, smelly inconvenience.
Once a mold spore has found a home, which could be in your drywall, plywood, carpets, or the padding beneath it, it begins to multiply. Any organic materials, or even dust, can be a food source for mold. Moreover, if you have moisture in your roof or leaking pipes, they are likely to have a feast.
Many people are under the assumption that if you eliminate moisture, the mold will have no food source, and will die off or disappear. However, this is not the case. The mold will only become dormant, much like a hibernating winter animal, and will reawaken as soon as the right conditions appear and continue its growth.
Mold is easily spotted as a tiny, black spot that grows larger into colonies. Mildew is a common mold that grows in your shower, damp walls, or in shady and damp outdoor areas. It could easily be mistaken for a dirty surface.
One way to identify mold is by dabbing a few drops of bleach on the surface. If its color lightens in a couple of minutes, you have mildew; if it remains dark, it is most likely dirt. If you have mold on wood, it’s important that you take action to remove it (by using a sharp tool), or else you’ll run the risk of having crumbled wood due to rotting.
A higher concentration of mold will generally give off a musty odor. If this is the case, we recommend that you check for mold under damp surfaces, wet roofing shingles, crawlspaces, and other damp areas.
It’s easy to remove small amounts of surface mold common to bathrooms and decks by using household cleaning solutions and bleach. But if the mold has grown and spread to places that you have not previously noticed, you will need to take precautions while cleaning.
Although DIY sprays claim to kill the mold, it usually takes more effort than just a chemical to get rid of a mold issue. We recommend wearing old clothes, respirators, goggles, and gloves, and begin work with an old box fan (for ventilation). Turn off the furnace and air conditioner, and cover up any air ducts to avoid the spreading of mold spores. It’s also helpful to keep wrap tape, garbage bags, and a vacuum cleaner handy for a thorough clean up after your job is done.
Mold isn’t a simple problem to get rid of instantaneously. It can be easy to miss a spot, allowing it to take over an area again after a period of time.
Some types of mold are also toxic, and a heavy infestation could lead to a severe allergic reaction. For this reason, it is best to hire a professional to eliminate the problem once and for all.
Get Professional Mold Testing, Mold Remediation and Mold Removal Help in Park Ridge
Do you think your home or office may be infested with mold? Are you looking for a professional mold removal service in Park Ridge, Illinois? If you answer ‘yes’, then we at Axis Response Group have the solution ready for you. Our team of seasoned mold removal specialists is ready to take on the task of making your space mold-free. We offer comprehensive mold testing, mold remediation and mold removal solutions.
Call us today for a free consultation!